Saturday, May 26, 2012

I'm Really Not Crazy!

Yes, it's true...I have started a second blog - with the inspiration and encouragement of a couple of other "Crazy Stage Moms" - you know who you are!   After spending 8 HOURS today at an open-call audition with my Daughter for the Disney Channel/Disney XD with a fellow "Crazy Stage Mom",  I couldn't resist.   It has been almost 7 years ago when we entered this "CRAZY" world of performing, I figured it was finally a good time to start blogging about it.

Having children involved in Performing Arts is in fact a whole different world to be part of!  It is as if they have their own language, their own laugh, their own secret codes and they beat to their own drum.  (Hey, that sounds just like me!)   If you want to have an amazing people-watching experience, attend an open-call audition.  The comedy material a person could write would be endless!!!  From the parents trying to coach their kids on what to say, how to say it, which way to stand, what movements to use, or the kids getting moody because they don't like what they are wearing or how their hair looks, to the parents bragging to other parents sitting next to them how their child should be the next Hannah Montana on Disney...you can hear and see it ALL at one place!!!  TOO FUNNY!!!! 

The title for my new blog was actually birthed almost two years ago, in Orlando, Florida while attending a Performing Arts Event with my Daughter.  During the event, Daughter had developed a really great friendship with a couple of fellow performers, and together the creative juices started flowing.  They were writing mini-scripts and choreographing dance moves to songs they heard other kids performing.  It was ALL too funny and actually amazing!  At all of 10 years old, they seemed to understand the ironies in this crazy industry and were writing and developing spoofs about it all.  

As Daughter and friends were sharing with us moms the parodies they were creating about moms with kids that liked to perform on stage, the three of us moms SWORE we would NOT be like those OTHER stage moms - we were NOT going to get all CRAZY and OBSESSED about our kid's auditions and performances.  (Easier said than done, sometimes!)  From this first creation of parodies, Daughter and friends continued to create other parodies about other "CRAZY" types of moms - Soccer, Football, Hockey, Dance, etc., etc.  (Maybe our kids will end up being writers or comedians on Saturday Night Live!)

The truth about "Crazy Stage Moms" is that there are two types of "crazy."  There are the types of "crazy" moms that want the opportunity MORE than their child does (like the show "Toddlers and Tiaras"), and then there are the other "crazy" moms that will support their children no matter what they decide to do - but the process to get them to that point is what makes the mom CRAZY!!!   I fall into the second category!  Daughter has an amazing ability to make me CRAZY when she is trying to decide what song she wants to use for her audition, what she should wear, how to style her hair.  It is as if it is her first time auditioning - EVERY TIME!!!  Why does she want to keep reinventing the wheel and start from scratch every time she has an audition?   "LORD ON HIGH - PLEASE HELP HER DECIDE!!!  THIS IS NOT HER FIRST RODEO!!!"

I was most pleased today to learn that my fellow "Crazy Stage Mom" is in the same category as me - but she has a son!  Clearly, this crazy-inspired behavior we develop from our children is not gender specific.

The intention for this new blog is to provide an inside look from my perspective, as a mom with children who like to perform and be on stage or in front of a camera.   I'm really not that crazy, even though I am sure my kids would say that I act like it, from time to time.   But that is ok - because at those moments when I may seem a bit "crazy" - it is because I love my children so deeply, and I believe in them so much.  Hopefully, my "crazy" tendencies won't get in the way of their successes, because ultimately, I really do want them to do what makes them the most happy.  And if being on stage or in front of a camera is what does it for them, then I will most definitely be CRAZY... with excitement, love and support.

Long live the "CRAZY STAGE MOMS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment